Monday, July 11, 2011

Puulo at Gale Woods and... Ash returns!


Chicago relatives were here for the 4th of July and we met them up at Gale Woods Farm park, sister-in-law's idea. Puulo, our bottle baby was there, just 5 days, and we got to visit him. A nice sheep volunteer, Ann, greeted me by name! and later sent me photos she'd taken of him. He's looking like a normal, handsome ram. It always seems a miracle when a tiny 2+lb preemie survives the week and gains ground to catch up with all the others.

Three little Finn lambs went to WI on Saturday. Karen, a fiber person, bought a brown ram and a white ewe lamb; Kara, who owns a CSA farm and sheep dairy, took home my other brown Finn ram lamb. No time for photos that day. The weekend was blasting hot and we worked from Friday to Sunday to get sheep tagged, vaxed, wormed and moved-- boys weaned from moms. Then we mowed, watered, tidied, in preparation to take a little vacation. Our faithful farm-sitters will tend things here while we travel to CA and Oregon. They've done this for us for three years, now-- and taken freezer broilers for their trouble. Lucky us!

Next, I saw that Becky Utecht, River Oak Shetlands, advertised for sale a solid brown polled ram we bred here-- Little Red Oak Ash, and we asked to buy him back.
Ash in July 2009
This years' ram lambs, while wonderfully hornless, are few, all solid black except one scurred brown lamb, and we do need a good brown, solid color sire. Besides, while he lived with Sabrina at Boston Lake farm, she microned his fleece and wrote him up as a stellar Shetland speciman, so, I'm believing her!
When we sold him it was because I HAD another brown, polled ram. I now need another.
Enjoy the week if I don't post here again-- we will be reading your blogs and comments, though!

5 comments:

Voni said...

He's handsome and I now he's come full circle back home.

Becky Utecht said...

I'm so glad you saw my post and now Ash will be returning to you. He's a sweet ram. You just never know how things will work out!

Sabrina Wille Erickson said...

Oh, I am so glad too, Gail. The lambs I got from him are excellent, and I will be keeping all the ewe lambs!

Michelle said...

Count me excited that you're getting Ash back, as well! He's MUCH too nice to do anything but sire more excellent Shetland sheep.

When are you coming to Oregon??? Any chance of meeting you while you're here?

Gail V said...

Michelle, tell me where you live and shoot me an email. We have a loose agenda, I just made hotel reservs in Coos Bay and Eugene, M and T. After that, some college towns, maybe?