Saturday, March 13, 2010

Aaagghhh! A skunk lives in my chicken barn!

Or visits it daily.  He likes the cat's food, for which he must somehow get from floor to table about 2 feet off the floor.  Then he washes his food (Like a raccoon?) and leaves debris in the cat's water bowl.  We haven't been getting many duck eggs this week, either-- they lay their eggs in nest boxes on the floor, you know. . .
There's a live trap in front of the chicken barn-- we are hoping he'll wander in.  So far tonight only one or our cats got caught in it, and when I put her up to her cat entrance she did a quick reverse to come back outside. . . and that's when I Knew.  I went inside and saw Mr. Skunk up on the table, washing down a little cat food dinner with the cat's water.
I don't know yet how we'll get rid of this freeloader, but we will, and we will have one more great little farm tale to tell forever.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Good Luck Gail, we are doing a battle with a/some racoon/s that seem to think that my chickens are a midnight snack. We have thus far trapped 2 feral cats, but the racoon continues to elude our clever trapping techniques. (which consists of cat food in a live trap)I guess we aren't as clever as we'd like to think, he probably sits outside and laughs at our pathetic attempts to capture him/her.

Nancy K. said...

EEEEEeeeeeew!

I hope you're able to catch it before it has babies and eats all your eggs and chickens!