Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Shearing Day March 21, 2010

March 21st, Sunday, 10 am.  Mike Anderson from WI will be here for the third year to shear the little flock of little sheep.  "How many ya got?"  "Twenty-four."  "Okay, Sunday at 10 will be fine."

It'll be a two-hour flurry of hoof trimming, vax and wormer shots, fleeces gathered up, skirted and bagged, and we'll eat a little at lunchtime. 

If you can come and plan to eat, you might bring a little something so we have enough!
Just wanted to get the word out. . .

And oh, my friend Lori in New Prague had her first shetland lamb yesterday, March 2nd.  She bought two ewes from me and a ram--
but this baby came from the natural breeding that agreed prior to that on my neighbors' farm.  Remember I  bought some sheep back from a neighbor last Oct/Nov and sought homes?  Lori'd bought a bred ewe at a bargain!  CUTE baby, she said. 
Happy Spring

8 comments:

Tammy said...

I'm scheduled for the 20th--8:30 a.m. and 22 sheep! :-) I'll be glad when it's done and am hoping the weather turns out beautiful. Hope yours goes well!
Tammy

Michelle said...

Seems like lambing is starting early this year for several people. So the sheep know something we don't?

Gail V said...

Yes, I recall the first lamb I had from some old timers pastured together was on March 21st!

WeekendFarmer said...

Happy Spring!! Wouldn't the sheep be cold if you sheared them so early? I was thinking I should get mine done in April...but maybe I will do them sooner as well. I remember living in Bemidji (MN)...it took a while for the weather to get to the 50s : )

Gail V said...

What? It's been 45 degrees for a week, so I think it's warm! I'm only worried it will still be sopping wet-- and then that's cold.

Lisa said...

Maple & Poppy pics are very charming! Good luck with the shearing day. Hope it warms up for you. It's been 59 sunny/rainy/windy here in Oregon.

Jerry said...

How did shearing go? You had a nice day for it
Jerry

Gail V said...

It was great!
Let me see if I can get the husband's photos on here. . .