Monday, October 8, 2007

Lovely October


Well, here is the best thing that's happened in awhile; We found a little horse whose owner wanted to trade us for our bigger, younger, too-spirited horse. So KC will be the ride of choice at Little Red Oak Farm soon. Is that neat. I found him on Craigslist, and the owners board the little guy a mile away from me, so they rode him over to check out our mare, Bell. The young lady owner even knew my child and our horse's name! What a surprise and coincidence!

Another great first today was washing a fleece at home, with a wash machine. I've been meaning to get around to it. . .
But here it is, in its fluffy white spotted glory. It's Minwawe Chicklet's fleece-- a mostly white ewe with black eye spots (yuglet eyes) and gray flecket spots all over. I set up a washing machine on my driveway, piped hot water out to the washer, used Tide and pumped the exhaust water onto the crushed rock driveway! Worked pretty well.
Still so much to do! See you later in the Fall colors!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Congratulations on both the successful horse trade and a beautiful washed fleece! I need to wash fleeces, but now that the weather has decided it is November (read "cold and rainy"), they will take a LONG time to dry....

Sharrie said...

Your setup sounds like what I do. My husband connected the hose for hot water, and the old washer is on "the porch". The water runs out a back door, and the fleece is wonderful. Think I will do some more today.

Gail V said...

Hi Michelle and Sharrie,
thanks for your comments! The white and gray fleece turned out great; now I should harvest indigo and get it in here to dye with. I was busy with tomatoes, different problem entirely!
Our weather turned from 88 on Saturday to not quite 50 degrees today, and the air is dry, so that's going fine. I should wash more, too!

shepherdchik said...

What nice looking fleece! Congrats too on the horse trade!