Monday, August 13, 2007

Boys night in the ram pen

It was a ram night, tonight. Well, I watched a few rams over the gate-- we were actually managing wethers next door to the ram lambs. I separated out a few little wethers today-- to be considered by a buyer tomorrow-- and then I saw that one wether didn't seem to be his perky self, and further, that he had a messy rear end.

Some cocci meds this afternoon, and then wool cleanup tonight, revealed . . . Fly Strike! A classic case, just like they tell you about in the books! Started in clumps of manure tags in the wool-- and I really don't know if it got beyond that, but we'll check him again tomorrow. It's a friendly little guy named Milkweed who got wethered really young for a variety of reasons-- longish tail, TOO FRIENDLY! (Pet me, pet me, butt-butt-butt-MEEE!) He's a nicer PET now.

His picture was in an early post, a lovely white headed yuglet spotted musket. This fellow (below) is his uncle, though they are just weeks apart in age. His name is Little Red Oak Mullein.
Jane Eager's asked to see pictures of her beautiful Highland Hollows Bluebell and her young sons. . . and I'm afraid I don't have good recent pics of the big girl. She's so friendly that if I approach her with a camera, she walks right up to me and I can't get a shot! But here is one of Mullein hiding at her side. He's very shy. Cohosh is Bluebell's other twin son. The poor, flystrike-afflicted Milkweed is Bluebell's grandson! Maybe that F (friendliness) gene came through him. Not in her rams, though. Their dad was not a friendly guy.

And here we have Bluebell's sons' (and her own) posterior view!

These things are important to breeders, so if the lambs avoid me, I shoot their backsides! Look how square this family is! And tonight, as we looked at 3 ram lambs in the next pasture, I said to DH, "look at the fleece difference on those two"--- one was Mullein, who looked like a plush toy next to the other guy, whose nice fleece was nonetheless. . . different. It separated into locks, while Mullein's was velour.

I can't wait to feel those guys' fleece again. One of Bluebell's rams will be a flock sire this year, depending on who is softer. She is a beautiful ewe whose beautiful babies have the famous Bluebell doublethick pelt. I think it's worth breeding for.
Thanks, Jane!

2 comments:

Highland Hollow Emporium said...

Fly strike YUCK!! We had 2 cases in the Highlander calved this year. The flies this year are the worst. This is how we treat Fly Strike. Lots and Lots of Hydrogen Peroxide cover the maggots with it, we use a big syringe without the needle. Clean the area, spray with red coat or blue coat or Iodine what ever is on hand. If you think the animal is really sick or might get an infection from the maggots LA200.
Every calf we have treated like this has recovered really well.
Good luck,
Jane
p.s. Are you going to show Bluebells fleece at Jefferson this year?

Gail V said...

Hi Jane,
I guess I can't, but what a good idea for next year! I gave HALF her coveted fleece (it weighed 7 pounds!) to a spinner who was SOOO helpful on shearing day. I got the other half-- was just considering dyeing it indigo. I have tons of that in my garden. I will look through my fleeces for a couple to bring to Jefferson, though. I guess I'll have to clean 'em up really well. Thanks for the flystrike tips. Those maggots were obscene. Even showering, I could FEEL them between my fingers, as I had been pulling them out of the wool. . . EEYUUU.